Saturday, October 6, 2007

More Ada and Nerdery

So I had my first lab on Friday, and it turns out I'm the biggest nerd in my computer science class.

I don't have acne, I don't watch Battlestar Galactica, I don't play Halo, and I didn't know the name of the creepy laughing monster in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi (Salacious Crumb) until my sister told me.

But somehow it's true. I actually stayed in the lab after everyone had left, just so I could do my homework. I even came back after my next class to finish up. The TA had to remind me several times that I had finished the classwork and could leave whenever I wanted.

It was kind of an embarrassing revelation, but I had a problem I just had to figure out. And I still couldn't. Not to brag, but if I couldn't figure out how to screw around with the enumerated values and the TA didn't know how to help me, I think the rest of that class is fucked.

Right now I am working on two problems, one of which takes the colors of resistor bands (which, sadly, I have almost committed to memory) and converts them into ohms. The problem is taking three separate variables and concatenating them to become one number (e.g. 4,3, and 6 needs to become 436). This may not sound very hard, but it's kind of a daunting task*. The second needs to take a date and calculate what day of the week it will fall on, which is really just a formatting problem since we were given the linear algorithm (no loops, conditions, or arrays) to solve the problem.

God damned Ada, so picky and typesafe.

*As I typed this, I realized that if I could cast (convert) a string type to type integer/natural, I might have more luck. It won't work, but it's reassuring to know that I can come up with creative solutions that had not occurred to me.

No comments: